We are all broken.


Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Names

 
I lost something the other day.
 
To the world, it wouldn't be much. And really, it's not a life altering loss. Nothing like losing my Daddy at the newly wedded age of 22.
 
But it meant something to me.
 
A few years ago, Brady gave me a hand stamped, Vintage Pearl necklace. On one square was his name, on the other, Kayden's. Sandwiched between their names was a pretty pearl, much like the picture I posted with this blog.
 
I wore it around my neck almost daily - it was my reminder to pray for the two most precious people in my life. I would often hold the squares in my hand. It became part of me.
 
A trip to Science Central and several trips to the gravity room later sent us home to vacation from the vacation. When I walked in the door and removed my coat, the lone necklace was hanging from my neck, stretched out, detached - vacant of the two beloved squares.
 
I searched my house, the garage, the van, the driveway, but to no avail.
 
They were gone.
 
Our names - and the names of our loved ones - are so important to us. People call us by name, write our names in e-mails, texts, Facebook posts. It is one thing that belongs to us that no one else can take.

Whenever I would look at Brady's name...Kayden's name...on those necklaces, I was reminded of how much I love them. The privilege of joining in community and family with them. I'm reminded that I want to spend more and more time with them, love on them, wrap them up in my arms.  I would place those squares between my two fingers and be reminded of the gift of relationship.

So, what do we think of when we see God's name?

Is it ordinary? Something we're used to seeing? Flinging around in our vocabulary?

"Thank God."

"God is so good."

But the very name of God - is precious.

When I see it am I reminded how much I love Him?
Of the privilege of joining in community and family with Him?
That I want to spend more time with Him?
Love Him?
Let Him wrap me up in His arms?
Am I thankful for the gift of relationship with Him?

I sat in my living room this morning, looking at the snow covered world. In the chair across from me, I imagined Him sitting there, laughing, loving, wanting more time with me. So I talked with Him awhile, breathing in the beauty of His presence.

And while our names are important - bringing identity and belonging to our lives, His is so much more.

Salvation is through His name (John 1:12).
Believers are to gather in His name (Matt. 18:20).
Prayer is to be made in His name (John 14:13-14).
It is at the name of Jesus that every knee will one day bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord (Phil. 2:10-11).

I will miss that necklace with the namesakes of my beloved family.

But I am thankful that God remains who He is, and His name will always be a precious gift in my heart.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs